Muffins are breakfast food and these chocolate chunk muffins are good excuse to have chocolate for breakfast. Yes!!! its nothing wrong in craving for chocolate in breakfast :-D. Although, I think it will not be fair to us and to these muffins to specify a time in the day for them. They are such a delight to have at any time. I would say they are more of a cupcake rather than a muffin but of course without frosting.
A chocolate cake baked in a muffin pan with chunks of chocolate. I always like to have them warm fresh from the oven before the chocolate chunks solidifies. Even if they are not fresh out of the oven I just reheat them before serving. These muffins are not to sweet at all which makes them perfect to have with jam or jelly and a hot cup of tea or coffee. The recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate but you can always use milk chocolate if you like the taste better. As far as I am concerned for chocolates I can say only one thing “The bitter the better”.
These muffins are easy to prepare. Just sift, whisk and bake. Try them out and Enjoy !!!!!
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup (sifted) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups butter milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F or 190 C. and line the muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine butter and half of the chopped chocolate and melt either over a pot of simmering water or in the microwave. (If using microwave take care not to over do it as chocolate can burn). Set a side.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the dry ingredients together (flour. sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
- In a measuring cup or a small bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Now pour in the buttermilk mixture, the melted butter mixture and the remaining chocolate chunks onto the flour.
- With a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon gently fold in all the ingredients together. Fold until just combine.
- You will find the batter chunky and not smooth. This is the way it should be. Don\’t over mix to get it smooth otherwise your muffins will be tough.
- Pour this batter evenly in the muffin pans and bake for 20 minutes.
- When they are baked transfer the muffins onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature. Enjoy !!